It is rightly said that the success and failure of an organization is directly proportional to the relationship shared among the employees. Every individual at the workplace shares a certain relationship with their fellow workers. Human beings are not machines who can start working just at the push of a mere button. They need people to talk to, discuss ideas with each other and share their happiness and sorrows. An individual cannot work on their own, they need people around. If the organization is empty and underpopulated, they will not feel like sitting there and working. An isolated environment demotivates an employee and negativity begins to fester. It is essential that people are comfortable with each other and work together as a single unit towards a common goal.
It is important that employees share a healthy relationship with each other at the work place. Below are several reason as to why employee relations are important in an organization:
- There are several issues on which an individual cannot make decisions alone. They need the guidance and advice of others as well. Sometimes we might miss out on important points but our fellow workers may come out with a brilliant idea which would help us to achieve our goals at a much faster rate. Before implementing any plan, the pros and cons must be evaluated in an open forum where every employee has the right to express their opinions freely. On your own, you will never come to know where you are going wrong or right in your profession. You need people who can critique your work whether it is correct or contains a few mistakes. If you do not enjoy a good relationship with others, no one will ever come to your aid or accept your aid when needed.
- Work becomes easy if it is shared among all. A healthy relationship with your fellow workers would ease the work load on you and in turn increase your productivity. One cannot do everything on their own. Responsibilities must be divided among team members to accomplish the assigned tasks within the stipulated time frame. If you have good rapport with your colleagues, they will always be eager to assist you on your assignments making your work easier.
- The organization becomes a positive place to work if the employees work together as a family. An individual tends to lose focus and concentration if their mind is always clouded with unnecessary tensions and stress. It has been observed that if people talk and discuss things with each other, tensions automatically evaporate and one feels better. Learn to trust others, you will feel relaxed. Employees don’t feel like going to the office if they are not on talking terms with the person sitting next to him or within the vicinity. An individual spends around 8-9 hours in a day at their workplace and practically it is not possible that one works non-stop without a break. You should have people with whom you can share your lunch, discuss movies or go out for a stroll once in a while. If you fight with everyone, no one will speak to you and you will be left all alone. It is important to respect others and to expect the same from them.
- An employee feels motivated in the company of others whom they can trust and fall back on whenever needed. One feels secure and confident and thus delivers their best. It is okay if you share your secrets with your colleagues but you should know where to draw the line. A sense of trust is important.
- Healthy employee relations also discourage conflicts and fights among employees. Employees tend to adjust more and stop finding faults in each other. Employees don’t waste their time in meaningless conflicts and disputes, but rather concentrate on their work and strive hard to perform better. They start treating each other as friends and try their best to compromise and make everyone happy.
- A healthy employee relationship reduces the problem of absenteeism at the work place. Employees are more serious towards their work and feel like coming to the office daily. They do not take frequent leaves and start enjoying and appreciating their work even more. Employees stop complaining among each other and give their best.
- It is wise to share a warm relationship with your fellow workers, because you never know when you need them. You may need them at any time. They will come to your aid only when you are nice to them. There will come a time where you need to take a leave of absence for personal reason and you will need the aid of trusted colleagues to take up your workload. Moreover, healthy employee relationships also spread positivism around the work environment.
It is essential that employees are comfortable with each other for better focus and concentration which lessen conflicts and in turn increases productivity. Stay tuned for more human resourcing tips from SW HR Consulting!